Guidelines for the Process of Food or Food Supplement Registration in Israel
If you are planning to distribute your dietary food supplements in Israel – you will need to undertake the procedure for dietary food supplements registering at the Ministry of Health (according to the Public Health Regulations, 5757-1997) and follow the local regulatory requirements
Who Is in Charge of Product Registration in Israel?
The National Food Service is the regulatory body at the Israeli Ministry of Health, that is responsible for food and food supplements approval.
The NFS strictly examines the safety and quality of each dietary supplement product that is about to be registered and marketed in Israel.
Only after fulfillment of the Ministry of Health’s requirements based on these guidelines, and after applying for registration and import of food/dietary supplements and compliance with the high standards of the Israeli Health Ministry, the product will be officially approved for marketing in Israel.
Here Are Several Licenses and Requirements From the Israeli Ministry of Health for Food & Dietary Supplements
- Business license (food): A business working in the field of food is required by law to hold a business license.
- Food import license (Importer Registration Certificate): A person who wishes to import food to Israel is required to receive Approval from the National Food Service at the Ministry of Health.
- Food Manufacturer License: This license is issued to factories or other businesses that are involved in the production processes, storage, or packaging of raw materials or products.
- Registration of new food: any manufacturer, marketing agent, and importer of a new food/dietary supplement is required to hold Approval from the Ministry of Health. For example food supplements, raw materials, flavorings, baby food, preservatives, and others.
In case you are a company registered outside Israel, some local agents can work with the client, and based on our vast experience, long-term fruitful business relationships can be made with our clients.
- The text and graphics for the label and package of the products: Tests should be arranged and submitted for printing. In case the food/dietary supplement is intended for domestic use, the labeling and instructions for use must be provided in English, Hebrew, and Arabic.
In the case the food/dietary supplement is intended for professional use only within health facilities, the labeling and instructions for use may only be in English. After registration, each food/dietary supplement category requires different handling:
- Food from animal origin: Food derived from animal origin and kept at a controlled temperature.
- Non-animal food: Sensitive food – Milk and dairy products, foods intended for consumption by infants, food supplements, meat and fish, and their derived products. Regular food – Food products and food supplements.
The key to successful export/import of dietary & food supplements and registration in Israel depends on the consulting and support of professionals, experienced and knowledgeable in all processes at the Israeli Ministry of Health.
Apart from the Ministry of Health’s approval and the registration of food and food supplements. We are familiar with the regulatory requirements in many areas and we will be happy to assist you.